As the temperatures get cooler, I am happy to announce that this week I reached my 1,500 mile biking goal for the year. All of my bike rides for the year began at the Abbey. The outdoor biking season is not necessarily over, but I prefer not to bike in temperatures below 50 degrees, especially if the wind is blowing. Biking has provided great exercise and a nice break from sedentary office work.
Here are some fun facts for the year.
- My first ride of the year was on February 22.
- As of today, I logged 78 individual rides, averaging 19.5 miles per ride.
- My longest ride was 67.5 miles.
- September was my best month, with 362 miles.
- My top speed was 43 miles per hour.
- An overwhelming majority of my rides were alone, but I did bike with 4 different individuals throughout the year.
- I was featured twice in local newspapers. Once in August for taking 1st in a local triathlon, and once when I biked to my parish assignment in September.
What do the winter months hold for an avid cyclist? Since I am not a fan of cold temperatures, I have a bike trainer, so I spin inside and still benefit from the exercise. However, nothing quite beats being outdoors and cruising down the road.
Below: Video from my recent ride.
Below: A few pictures from the road on my most recent ride.
If you see a cyclist on the road, give him some space and pass carefully!